Sat, May 20, 2017
12 noon–12 midnight
Blue Cross RiverRink
101 S Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106
Express your inner dancer.
Bond with friends, family, co-workers.
Reach fitness milestones.
Be a champion for FringeArts.
FringeA-Thon is an epic outdoor, 12-hour dance-party-marathon and fundraiser for FringeArts, who presents world-class, contemporary performing arts that challenge convention and inspire new ways of thinking.
Raise money for live arts, then dance your “art” out at FringeA-thon which includes an exciting line-up of DJs, themed dance hours, pop-up dance performances, dance competitions, and a coordinated dance finale by all of fundraising participants!
John Jarboe, artistic director of The Bearded Ladies Cabaret, host and curator of Get Pegged Cabaret, and general spectacle-maker will be the MC for the evening, coaching dancers through the entire 12 hours.
DJs for the evening include:
- DJ Cosmo Baker, a Philadelphia native and one of New York’s most exciting party-rocking DJs. He is a master of hip-hop, disco & funk, and electronic dance music, which he mixes and matches in his unique style.
- DJ lil’dave, a Philadelphia-based audio tastemaker with a propensity for funky grooves, broken boogie, and thumping bass.
- DJ Dame Luz, the Philadelphia-based DJ, remixer, producer, and promoter behind the legendary Holy Trinity parties and CutNPaste parties.
- DJ Rahsaan, a global-minded DJ and selector specializing in Boogaloo, Cuban rumba, Salsa Dura, Latin Disco, and more.
- DJ Rich Medina, an elite DJ who has joined the handful of DJs at the top of their field, and takes audiences on a sonic journey through hip-hop, house, soul, afrobeat, funk, breaks, and dance classics.
- DJ Royale, whose Philly roots have undeniably shaped his sound and has been described as ‘timeless & technical’ and has been known for hosting original parties with an ‘everybody’s welcome’ ethos.
As the DJs whip the crowd into a sonic frenzy, Philadelphia’s best professional dancers will filter through the crowd, teaching some new moves, demonstrating steps, and participating in pop-up performances. Confirmed dancers joining FringeA-Thon include:
- Kemar Jewel and the Xcel Dance Crew, an exciting vogue crew who incorporate dance and theater to make magic.
- Melanie Cotton, a local choreographer and dancer who will be leading the communal group dance finale.
- Steve Lunger (Steve Believe), a seasoned dance-battle master who will be coordinating friendly dance battles between competing teams.
How does it work?
Dancers ask for small donations from their friends and family, who sponsor them through each hour of FringeA-Thon. The more they dance, the more money they raise for the arts!
Where does the money go?
FringeArts is Philadelphia’s home for contemporary performance, presenting progressive, world-class art that stretches the imagination and boldly defies expectation. As the city’s lead experimenter in the arts, FringeArts exposes audiences to unpredictable dance, theater and music performances by accomplished and emerging innovators who are pushing the boundaries of art-making and redefining the artistic landscape worldwide.
As a catalyst for cultural and community development, and a destination that brings artists and audiences together, FringeArts amplifies the vibrancy of the city’s arts community and enriches the lives of those who reside, work and visit here.
Why is it important?
FringeA-Thon mobilizes the arts community of Philadelphia to sustain its vibrant arts scene. World-class cities need world-class culture. As the producer of the Philadelphia Fringe Festival, FringeArts impacts more artists in Philadelphia than any other organization – thousands every year. Dancing at FringeA-Thon directly supports the contemporary art and artists that make Philadelphia a world-class city, and will help fill our community with daring artistic performances, international legends, and local pioneers.